THE NEWS BLOG

 
Steve and Jen bring you this daily review of the news
Premium Advertiser

News Blog Sponsors

News Links

BBC World Service
The Guardian
Independent
Washington Post
Newsday
Iraq Order of Battle
Agonist
NY Times
LA Times
ABC News
CNN
Blogger

 
Blogs We Like

Daily Kos
Atrios
Digby's Blog
Skippy
Operation Yellow Elephant
Iraq Casualty Count
Uggabugga
Media Matters
Talking Points
Defense Tech
Intel Dump
Soldiers for the Truth
Margaret Cho
Juan Cole
Tbogg
Corrente
Gropinator
Just a Bump in the Beltway
Baghdad Burning
Wonkette
Howard Stern
Michael Moore
James Wolcott
Cooking for Engineers
There is No Crisis
Whiskey Bar
Rude Pundit
Driftglass
At-Largely
Crooks and Liars
Amazin' Avenue
DC Media Girl
The Server Logs

 
Blogger Credits

Powered by Blogger

Archives by
Publication Date
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
Comments Credits
Comments by YACCS
Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Technolust


Ok, as any regular reader of this site can see, this has been a busy time. So busy that I have posts in my head that I haven't written and can't squeeze in. Besides, I'm sick of child sex predators and Congo East, otherwise known as Iraq.

Since people have been asking me about my experiences with the MacBook, I can kill a couple of birds with one stone.

While the Apple cult eludes me, the MacBook is the handy little laptop that could. The keyboard is nice and wide, the screen bright, and plays back DVD's really well. It's a nice machine and I thank you for making it possible.

But the idea that OSX has some innate advantage over Windows is well, not so much. They do much of the same things in slightly different ways. Not enough that you couldn't figure it out, and yes, OSX crashes as well. But the main advantage is that you can toss the machine into a bag, walk around with it and not feel like you're on one of those 50lb 20 mile runs the Army tosses at people.

It's also small enough to be used. Only the Lenovo laptops match in size and usability, but that stupid knob irritates me to no end. Dell has some insane monster laptop weighing 21 pounds, but that's hardly going to be used by humans.

But I really like it and have placed my Windows laptop back in the case for now. And I like my Windows laptop. A lot.

Jen is lusting after some tiny, useless Vaio which is twice as much as the MacBook. Not that she'll get it, since she's waited two years to replace her now 11 year old computer. Yes, you read that right, 11 years old.

I've known a few women in my life, but only a couple who actually were game for doing things I liked. I've known one who is a sports fan, and then there's Jen. No, she hates sports. Absolutely doesn't see the appeal of it, doesn't really like watching it with my friends, mostly dated guys who were indifferent to sports. Never once asked her to get up and watch when I played football. Which would have been insane, since she's a sleepyhead

But she likes killing zombies.

No, she really likes killing zombies. Well, video zombies.

I mean, the more killing the better. Deer, aliens, dope fiends, Jen relaxes from work by killing things. Not every night, but when she can muster up the energy.

Now, I can walk into my friend's bar and watch sports with guys any night of the week, but to know a woman who actually likes video games? I mean, it would be nice if she would wake up to watch the Giants over brunch, but then it would be nice to live in a penthouse.

Recently she said to me that her two favorite gifts was the iPod Nano and the PS2 I gave her. Now, if my 11 year old nephew said that, it would be expects. Hell, I'd expect that from my 26 year old nephew. But it was a pleasant surprise from Jen.

In the past, I had been lectured about my penchant for games from women, which I found to be the standard.

A long time ago, I was in the Wiz, a now defunct appliance chain, when a guy was buying a Sega Genesis. The look on his girlfriend's face was priceless, ie, are you 12? She was not happy, because it was obviously for him and one look could tell that.

But with Jen, I get the opposite reaction.

I had asked her if I should get a PSP. I really want to play sports games, and I find the PS2 a pain to hook up and use. The odd thing is that I've seen more adults than kids with PSP's, women. Why? Because we all need a minute to relax, go someplace else for a little while. Half my job here is reading. Books stare at me, silent, accusing, wondering why I haven't opened them. They are my work, as much as writing this. There is scant comfort in books as relaxation.

Now, asking Jen about technology is like asking one of my friends if watching sports and drinking beer is a good idea. A no answer is unlikely.

She was, of course, enthusiastic about the idea. She even had recommendations on which games to get. Which is insane, on some level, grown adults debating which video games to get. But then, my 70 something mother owns a Nintendo DS and is quite happy. We come from a gaming family:) My father prefers his gaming in person. But I did watch my sister play Tetris for hours once, while her kids slept.

But then, when my nephew was seven, he took his Christmas money to buy a PS2 game.

I think most video game users are adults, the average age 29. Which isn't surprising, because of the intricate nature of many games, and the fun deprived lives of people. It is amazing to hold something the size of a large Ghiradelli chocolate bar and play a fully functioning game.

Jen, of course, is an enabler with both books and games. We were in her favorite bookstore, St. Marks, and if we didn't flee, we would have bought more books. I had given her three review copies that very night. She had given me a book she brought back from Scotland. Yet, there we were, trying not to buy books.

I think I said, "hon, if we don't get out of here, we'll buy more books"

She said "I can spend two hours here by myself".

Yeah, that helps matters. Lucky we didn't wind up pushing a shopping cart out of there.

Now, it's not like we spend all our time gaming, we don't, but it is nice to know someone who shares that technolust.

posted by Steve @ 7:17:00 PM

7:17:00 PM

The News Blog home page





 

Editorial Staff
RSS-XML Feeds

Add to My AOL

Support The News Blog

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More
News Blog Food Blog
Visit the News Blog Food Blog
The News Blog Shops
 
 
 
Operation Yellow Elephant
Enlist, Young Republicans