THE NEWS BLOG

 
Steve and Jen bring you this daily review of the news
Premium Advertiser

News Blog Sponsors

News Links

BBC World Service
The Guardian
Independent
Washington Post
Newsday
Iraq Order of Battle
Agonist
NY Times
LA Times
ABC News
CNN
Blogger

 
Blogs We Like

Daily Kos
Atrios
Digby's Blog
Skippy
Operation Yellow Elephant
Iraq Casualty Count
Uggabugga
Media Matters
Talking Points
Defense Tech
Intel Dump
Soldiers for the Truth
Margaret Cho
Juan Cole
Tbogg
Corrente
Gropinator
Just a Bump in the Beltway
Baghdad Burning
Wonkette
Howard Stern
Michael Moore
James Wolcott
Cooking for Engineers
There is No Crisis
Whiskey Bar
Rude Pundit
Driftglass
At-Largely
Crooks and Liars
Amazin' Avenue
DC Media Girl
The Server Logs

 
Blogger Credits

Powered by Blogger

Archives by
Publication Date
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
Comments Credits
Comments by YACCS
Tuesday, June 27, 2006

A funny thing about courage

When I was 14, I went to scout camp.

The scoutmaster I went up there with said something which stuck with me: a real man admits his mistakes.

I don't like to talk about myself, and the fact that I've been stalked online, means no pictures, no bio online. But I've worked in journalism on and off since 1986, like a lot of people, famous and not famous. There is no test, no licensing. But I've done enough reporting in odd places like the UN and the Plaza to know the difference between sloppy reporting and good reporting, courage and cowardice. People have tried to get me fired, and I've worked on more deadlines than I care to remember. Even now, there's a midnight posting deadline here. I post seven days a week, home and away. And God knows, I've pissed people off.

But I never thought it was OK to lie about someone and call it journalism.

You know I've spent this weekend building models and going to museums, not worrying about TNR. Because I thought they would do the right thing. Instead I found they didn't have the courage to do so. I pity Frank Foer, having placed his reputation in the hands of Jason Zengerle. Because those are shaky hands to be in. At least Foer knows I'm a man of my word. He has no such assurance for his reporter.

That's disappointing. As I said, this isn't a matter of lawyers. Because, despite the numerous suggestions, and offers of help, that I get one and get these people under oath, in the end the law is no solution. So Marty Peretz can send me $50K in a settlement? That's how these things end. People get paid and it all goes away. But nothing changes

This is about a moral and ethical choice. Yes, burning a source is a very big deal, but why would they protect a liar? They're reading the comments here, and half my posters think Zengerle made this up on his own. Talk about a hanging curve ball. Frank Foer knows he's gonna face this again, and his refusal to do the right thing now is going to haunt him and TNR. Zengerle's credibility and a $1 will get you a dirty water dog near Central Park. But it won't get you a credible story.

If TNR thinks their pathetic, cowardly apology is acceptable, that is their choice. But they will be renminded of that choice many times in the future, by many different people, for many different reasons. Hiding behind a liar is a short term solution with a long term consequence.

They have chosen to be known as a home for fiction in the guise of fact, the protectors of the dishonest. Frank Foer has said he won't say any more about this, however, I think when he appears in public, he will be asked about this. I think this will be an issue as long as it is an issue. He runs a publication where reporters don't confirm e-mails and print lies. One does not live
that down easily

Personally, I'm embarassed for them. They still think Kos's ethics are the issue. Unfortunately for them, no one else does.

posted by Steve @ 12:39:00 AM

12:39:00 AM

The News Blog home page





 

Editorial Staff
RSS-XML Feeds

Add to My AOL

Support The News Blog

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More
News Blog Food Blog
Visit the News Blog Food Blog
The News Blog Shops
 
 
 
Operation Yellow Elephant
Enlist, Young Republicans