Steve and Jen bring you this daily review of the news
Premium Advertiser

News Blog Sponsors

News Links

BBC World Service
The Guardian
Washington Post
Iraq Order of Battle
NY Times
LA Times
ABC News

Blogs We Like

Daily Kos
Digby's Blog
Operation Yellow Elephant
Iraq Casualty Count
Media Matters
Talking Points
Defense Tech
Intel Dump
Soldiers for the Truth
Margaret Cho
Juan Cole
Just a Bump in the Beltway
Baghdad Burning
Howard Stern
Michael Moore
James Wolcott
Cooking for Engineers
There is No Crisis
Whiskey Bar
Rude Pundit
Crooks and Liars
Amazin' Avenue
DC Media Girl
The Server Logs

Blogger Credits

Powered by Blogger

Archives by
Publication Date
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
Comments Credits
Comments by YACCS
Wednesday, March 08, 2006

This bothers me

Should he teach your kids?

Every single day, my son was ranted at in Christian school
by adigal [Subscribe]
Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 08:37:20 PM PDT

Every single day in the Christian junior high school I sent my son to he was ranted at by fundie Christians. Every single day his Bible teacher would tell him that the earth was 6000 years old. Every day the Math teacher would tell him that only born-agains were real Christians. Every day the English teacher would tell him that the Harry Potter books were immoral and full of "Satan," because they had magic in them. Every day, the Bible teacher would tell him that man and dinosaurs roamed the earth at the same time, and man bones had been found inside dinosaurs. Every day some students would tell my son that since he was Catholic, he was going to hell.

I liked the people who ran the school, I liked some of the kids (the ones my son was friends with) and I really liked the safety of the school - so rather than take my son out of the school or tell my son to tape his wingnut teachers and send the tape to Air America, I taught him that he had to learn to debate, and debate with facts. Do his research, formulate his argument, and clearly and politely present his view.

He debated his Bible teacher every day for 3 years. The beauty of it was that he won the Bible award every year - the only Catholic winning the Bible award, with a 100% average. You know why? He was interested in the stories, and was always thinking about whether they were literal or not.

And now, in public school, his Academic Quiz Team just qualified for the National Championships. So I guess telling my son to learn to research, think and debate was actually a better approach than telling him to tape his teachers and call a talk show host.

And now, I am really pushing my son towards international policy or public policy since he loves history and politics, but he also loves science and design. I figure there are a lot of designers, some scientists, but very few strong progressive Democrats who can argue, stand their ground, be tough, be honest and kind, and win office. I hope my son will go into politics, as he is all those things.

Sorry, Mr. and Mrs. Allen, wingnuts that you are, you missed the boat with your son.

I'm sorry, but I don't get this.

Every day, your kid is being lied to and you like the structure? And you liked the school?

I know what it's like to take crap in school and this sounds hellish to me. The folks on Kos are divided, but I think being told I was going to go to hell every day would grate on my nerves.

This was her response to the criticism she got

My son is NOT a psychological experiment, no psychological abuse, but I knew when I posted this that someone would accuse me of this!

THIS is why we lose - over and over and over - even when we win. God forbid we should experience the slightest bit of discomfort, take to the streets when the Supreme Court VOTES on our next president on party lines, oh no!! It might be uncomfortable. Get the comfort police!!!

As I said, if you READ, my son had some very nice friends in that school. I liked the administrators. It was a Christian school, so I dealt with it, and told him to deal with it, too. He is a cool kid. He handled it beautifully, and, as a bonus, he is able to debate anyone. Poor, abused child. No???

So hear thee, hear thee - if we want to win, we had better be balls to the walls, kicking ass, taking no prisoners, no criticism of every single fricking Democratic you disagree with.


My problem is that I remember when I was 13 and I got into fights with people. It wasn't easy, but I made it. However, this, to me, is more than about comfort. I really couldn't send a kid to a school which taught fiction as fact and place my child in a confrontational situation with adults for three years. I don't think that's healthy. When I was 13, I was around adults I trusted and respected, I didn't have to debate them every day to prove a point.

But I really wonder what people who have to make this decision think. I would say parents, but it's really any guardian who has to educate a kid.

posted by Steve @ 12:05:00 AM

12:05:00 AM

The News Blog home page


Editorial Staff

Add to My AOL

Support The News Blog

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More
News Blog Food Blog
Visit the News Blog Food Blog
The News Blog Shops
Operation Yellow Elephant
Enlist, Young Republicans