What child molestation?
What was that about moneychangers and
Church's settlement offer riles lawyers
$7.5m proposal too low, demeaning, they say
By Frank Phillips, Globe Staff | December 30, 2005
The Catholic Archdiocese of Boston has offered $7.5 million to about 100 alleged victims of clergy sexual abuse, lawyers in the cases said yesterday.
A lawyer for some of the alleged victims called the proposal ''egregiously disingenuous," and others said the offer would provide far less money to each of their clients than the historic 2003 agreement that settled 554 cases.
The lawyers said the archdiocese's attorney, Thomas H. Hannigan Jr., briefed them over the last week on the details of the archdiocese's proposal. The plan would require many of the claimants to prove their case in a mediation process in which they would be cross-examined and may be forced to confront priests accused of abuse, the alleged victims' lawyers said.
The archdiocese confirmed yesterday that negotiations are underway, but refused to discuss details or respond to criticism by the alleged victims' lawyers.
''Representatives of the Archdiocese of Boston are in discussions with individual plaintiffs' attorneys as they work to resolve pending claims," the archdiocese said in a statement released through its media consultants, Rasky Baerlein Strategic Communications. ''In conjunction with a mediation agreement reached with plaintiffs' counsel, however, all discussions are confidential."
posted by Steve @ 11:26:00 AM